Aaron Boone returned to the dugout this weekend just a few days after having pacemaker inserted. It gave players and fans a huge sigh of relief after the news came by surprise to some last week. Injuries to Yankees players have been a major reason for concern the past few seasons. Once again this year, staying healthy will be paramount as the Yankees compete for a World Series title.
To talk about the importance of staying on the field and everything going on in the world of the Yankees, it’s time for a new episode of the “Pinstripe Pod” with Chris Shearn and four-time World Series champion Jeff Nelson. The guys have a fantastic interview with former Yankees outfielder and baseball legend Gary Sheffield.
Pinstripe Pod with Shearnie and Nellie:
- Boone getting a pacemaker and returning quickly. Great guy and a communicator as a manager. Nellie played with him in 2003 in The Bronx.
- Pitching staff has looked great. Jameson Taillon with a nice outing. Pitching rotation will mix and match and have guys make spot starts.
- Outfielders staying healthy is important. Giancarlo Stanton, Aaron Judge and Aaron Hicks have not been able to stay on the field together.
- Yankees are best team in the American League if they stay healthy.
Q & J: Shearn & Jake ask Jeff questions about his career
- What he was doing the moment he found out the Mariners were trading him to the Yankees, how he felt about coming to an iconic franchise.
- What made Joe Torre such a good manager of his Yankees teams?
- What was George Steinbrenner’s relationship like with Torre and the players?
- Which of the four World Series titles meant the most to him?
Gary Sheffield Interview:
3 seasons with Yankees (2004-2006), 9-time All-Star outfielder, World Series champion
- What got him into baseball? Learning from his uncle, Doc Gooden, as a kid. Getting robbed of a homer against him. Facing him as a youngster.
- Facing Nolan Ryan in the big leagues.
- Concerns with the game today and what has changed. Guys striking out too many times today. He had the quick bat.
- Exit velocity in today’s game and what his might be.
- Hitting 400th homer as a Yankee and 500th homer with the Mets and that being important to him. Granddad said he would be a 500-homer hitter.
- Are you a Hall of Famer?
- Sheffield vs. Nelson in their career. Sheff went 2-for-4 with a walk.
- Current Yankees team and their starting rotation.
- Playing with Tony Gwynn, both of them not striking out much. A show on Gwynn is in the works.
Catch up on all episodes of “Pinstripe Pod,” a New York Yankees podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. New episodes drop every Monday during spring training and Mondays and Thursdays when the season begins.